When you break it down, a healthy lifestyle distills down to two simple ideas: good eating and exercise. This is why so many healthy people love Maui — it’s so easy to stay healthy while enjoying your vacation — not in spite of it.
Where to Buy Healthy Food on Maui
Fresh-grown produce on Maui is definitely abundant when you consider its warm and subtropical year-round growing season. You can find fruits and veggies at the following Sunny Maui Condos-recommended farmers markets:
Kihei Market at Aloha Marketplace
Wed and Sat, 7am-3pm (full market), all other days have about 1/2 the selection. Notes: reasonable prices, fresh local products like bananas, kale, beets, peppers, herbs and “exotic” fruits like mango and lychee (when in season); dragonfruit and passion fruit. You can also buy baked goods (like yummy banana bread) and more.
Lipoa Farmers Market
Lipoa Street near Fabianis restaurant, Saturday 8:30am-11:30am. Notes: A smaller market with mostly organic veggies and specialty fruits. Be sure to arrive as close to opening time as possible because all good stuff goes quick! You’ll also find upcountry farmers with hard-to-find goodies like kohlrabi, jackfruit, guavas, passion fruit (lilikoi) and dragonfruits. Keep an eye out for fresh gluten-free bread, local honeys and jams.
Want more? Check out the full list of Maui farmer’s markets.
Where to Stay Fit on Maui
The most obvious place to stay fit anywhere in Hawaii is outdoors!
Hawaii is very runner-friendly if you don’t mind mostly warm temps and plenty of other runners.
For casual road running, just throw on a pair of running shoes and look where other people are running (or ask around). If you’re a more serious or competitive road runner, you easily can find a running hui (hui is the Hawaiian word for group) as well as race schedules and favorite local trail runs.
If you’re going to take walks on Maui, we strongly recommend walking on the beach. Running the beach is awesome, too, but there’s something profound and beautiful (and pleasantly vigorous) about pacing the soft sand while taking in the sights and sounds of the ocean — even if the sun’s not shining. We recommend:
- Sugar Beach for its miles and miles of sand
- Keawakapu Beach for being less crowded (don’t mind those $10 million beachfront homes, by the way)
- The beach path in Wailea — no it’s not sand, but it’s a very scenic walk that’s about 1.5 miles from the Ulua Beach area to the Fairmont Kea Lani.
Looking for something a little less outdoorsy? Try these places:
- Maui Hot Yoga on Lipoa Street in Kihei. Says one Yelp reviewer: “If you want a good hot sweaty yoga session , come here. You’ll love the vibe.” 115 E Lipoa St. Suite 202 Kihei, HI 96753 • Ph.
- Maui Yoga Path in the Mana Kai Maui Resort. The large open-air fully equipped studio is right on Keawakapu Beach, offering inspiring views of neighboring Lana’i and Kaho’olawe. 2960 S. Kihei Road Kihei, HI 96753 • (808) 874-5545
- The Gym Maui in Kihei. An excellent, popular gym among locals and visitors thanks to top-notch facilities, friendly staff and a mere $10 pop-in fee. Kihei Commercial Plz 300 Ohukai Rd, Ste B201 Kihei, HI 96753 •
Something to Ponder
Vacation: don’t let it be that thing where you workout and starve yourself before you go, then get lazy and overeat when you’re on it. After all, there’s nothing worse than realizing you’ve let yourself go, then dreading all the work you’ll have to do to get your body back.
If anything, a vacation to Maui is a great opportunity for some self-discovery and change towards a more healthy, conscious lifestyle no matter where you are!
BONUS: There an App for This
We would be delighted to be part of your next Maui vacation. If we can assist you with planning your perfect Maui vacation, please contact our Sunny Maui Vacations’ team at email@example.com or at 808-240-1311 Extension 21. Let us help you reserve your vacation rental condo in South Maui and assist you with island recommendations and activity planning through our in-house Concierge at 808-240-1311 Extension 71.
Need a hand with your next Maui vacation? Please contact the Sunny Maui Vacations team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-240-1311, ext. 21. We’ll find you the best vacation rental condo or rental home in South Maui and help you with any and all recommendations and activities across Maui.