13 Humblebrag facts about HawaiiWritten by Charles on February 25, 2019 in Blog.
No big deal, we just live in one of the most exotic and beautiful places in the world.
1. Hawaii is the world’s largest island chain
Not by mass (Australia), but by area: The Hawaii Archipelago consists of over 130 scattered islands that stretch about 1,600 miles in length from the Kure Atoll in the north to the Island of Hawaii in the south.
2. Hawaii is the isolated populated place in the world
That’s 2,390 miles from California; 3,850 miles from Japan; 4,900 miles from China; and 5,280 miles from the Philippines. So if you really want to get away…
3. Hawaii is the only place in the USA that grows coffee
Being subtropical has its perks!
4. No racial or ethnic majorities
In Hawaii, everyone is a minority. Sure, we have Caucasians (aka “Haoles”), Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, Filipino and Hawaiians, but many of us are mixed and most of us get along just fine 🙂
5. Haleakala is the world’s largest dormant volcano
If you don’t believe us, take a hike.
6. Parker Ranch on the Big Island is largest contiguous ranch in the USA
John Parker established Parker Ranch near Waimea around the time of King Kamehameha I. It has about 480,000 acres of land.
7. Kilauea volcano is the world’s most active volcano
The current eruption along Kīlauea’s Eastern Rift Zone began on January 3, 1983.
8. Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain in the world
Wait, not Everest? Well if you measured the mountain from its base at the ocean floor to the summit, it’s over 33,000 ft.
9. Hawaii has 10 of the world’s 14 climate zones
Chances are you’ll only want one: tropical.
10. The Hawaiian alphabet only has only 12 letters
5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) and 7 consonants (h, k, l, m, n, p, w).
11. There are no snakes, billboards or rabies in Hawaii
It makes for nicer hikes and drives. And dogs.
12. All coastline is public
13. Hawaii grows 42 acres a year
Thanks to the world’s most active volcano, the Big Island gets bigger each year. It’s not always pretty, though.
Photo credits: NASA, Kevin Bluer, Bruce Irving, Julien Millet, Christian Joudrey, Brittani Burns, Derek Owens, makadaka, Gavin Allanwood, tess_marie, randomfactor, Annie Spratt, frank mckenna, Jeremy Bishop, Peter Vanosdall
- May 2019
- April 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014